Monday, August 4, 2008

God Experiences

There are few things that remind us of who we are. Whenever we experience them, we know they were sent by God. Whether it be a tragedy, an unexpected blessing, or just a day when you recognize that it is good to be alive; you just relish in the fact that you are a child of God.

I had one of those days this past week. When temperatures couldn't be hotter (well, actually they could--and probaby will--be), when things just weren't going as planned (that is, according to MY plan), and when I sensed that things were just "out-of-sorts", I had one of those "things" come into my life that remind me who I am.

Friday, August 1st was my daughter Anneliese's 11th birthday. Counter to my normal behavior, I planned ahead. I had a picture of me put on a puzzle and mailed it (disassembled of course) in a box to arrive before her birthday. The package arrived ahead of her birthday and I planned to call her on Thursday afternoon (her time) to wish her a happy early birthday. Usually, it is hit or miss that I can even get through. This time, the connection was great and Anneliese picked up on the second ring.

I asked her if she could open the package while I was on the phone. Camille had other plans for her gift opening (to take place during her party on the following day), but I wasn't able to call on her actual birthday. So, I was persistent and got them all to agree to at least open my package while I was on the phone. They put me on speaker phone and Anneliese commenced the festivities.

From thousands of miles away, I got to listen to my family see the puzzle pieces and start sorting them out.
Cami: "I'll do the edge."
Anneliese: "I'll work on the words."
Nate: "I want to do the scorpion!"

Pretty soon, Camille cried out: "I see a cross!" One of the kids cried out: "It's daddy!" I got to listen to it all, even the mini-argument about who got to place the last piece. It was then finished. They got to see a picture of their dad, standing in Iraq, on a puzzle that said: "Happy Birthday, Anneliese
Love, Dad
Iraq AUG 2008"

That was it. That was my "thing". I couldn't have been more blessed by God that day. He loves me so much, even in the little things. He allowed me to hear the joy in the voices of my loved ones. Soon (hopefully) we will be able to hug while we celebrate birthdays. Until that day comes, I thank God for who I am--His beloved, placed in this world to be a husband, father, pastor and chaplain. All roles that I could never fulfill without His help.

What is your "thing" this week? I pray you have one too.

Chaplain Ayers

1 comment:

revpackman said...

Great story from a pretty good pastor! Thanks, Ray, for your service to God and Country ... and be sure to thank your men for their service and sacrifice on behalf of all of us!

Rev. Mike Pfingsten
St. Paul Lutheran Church
Harvard IL USA